Here We Go Again (Again!)

Posted on Mar 4 2014 - 11:38am by Katie Reed

I really wanted to do something special to commemorate this occasion, but in all honesty, I’m tired, I’m sick, and I’m in a bit of shock. So I’ll just say it here and now… Pip and Cheerio are going to be big brothers!

Pregnancy Test - BFP

The last time I made this announcement, I said that both of my kids were “happy accidents.” And this time is no different. Mark and I have always wanted to have three kids, and we were planning on taking this year to get our affairs in order and start trying for number three at the end of 2014. And since I was breastfeeding Cheerio, I hadn’t been in “fertile territory” until last month, when I finally got my period. And then… well, clearly we have a healthy marriage, because I’m six weeks along now.

I’ve been chastised in the past for announcing my pregnancies too early. I always let people know as soon as I do. I’m not superstitious in that way. I am superstitious in thinking that as soon as you become superstitious is when bad things happen. All that said, I was a little thrown this time around, as we haven’t had the smoothest start.

I found out last week. My period was late. I’ve never been super regular, but I SHOULD have had it by then. So I took a test on Tuesday. It was negative. I took another on Wednesday, and it was positive! And then…

Well, then I started to bleed. A lot. I was beside myself. I was pretty sure it was over before it had begun. And while I was super sad and upset, I was also a little relieved. Mark and I were a little bit… unprepared for it to happen so soon. I bled for two or three days, and then it just… stopped.

I waited for the weekend before retesting. On Saturday morning, the cheapo test I’d bought showed the very faintest positive.

Pregnancy Test - Very faint positive

I assumed that it meant my hormones were ebbing away. But the fact it was still positive gave me hope.  Later in the day, I was overcome by a wave of nausea. I was so sick and dizzy and disoriented that I actually thought I might have caffeine poisoning from the coffee I’d drunk that morning. But I had a feeling…

The next day, I took another test, and it was the same super faint plus. At this point, I have to admit that Mark really didn’t believe I was ever pregnant. I think he thought I was messing with him in the first place (it’s our inside joke that I tell him I’m pregnant just to see his reaction), and then he saw the very faint positives and figured it was just some fault of the tests. So I knew the only way to be sure (for both our sakes) was to get a digital test.

Sure enough, the test was very clear when it showed “Pregnant.” Not much disputing that! And once he saw it, Mark got a big smile on his face, and we both felt good.

A doctor’s visit and blood test confirmed the news, and we’re booked in to my OB later this month to make sure all is well.

I admit to a bit of trepidation. Two kids has proven to be quite a lot of work for both of us. In December I had to put them in daycare so I could have a little break, and thankfully it helped immensely. We decided to keep them in there in the new year because Pip was REALLY benefiting from being around other kids. His hearing issues had been resolved with the surgery he’d had, and he was talking more and learning SO much. He’s gone from being super shy to being the life of the party. He’s like Norm in Cheers. The kids all yell his name when he walks in the room!

And Cheerio has really come out of his shell, as well. He had such bad separation anxiety that leaving him with strangers each day nearly broke my heart. But he has come along so much. Now he even sleeps through the night in his own bed because he doesn’t HAVE to be held all the time.

But obviously with another kid on the way, we are going to have to be more careful with money, so we are going to be taking them both down to only a couple of days a week. That way they will still get their interaction, but I can have them home with me more and work with them.

At the end of the day, we are over the moon. It’s not how we planned, but we are excited to finish off our family with our much longed for third child. I will say right now that we are both hoping for a girl, but I will be thrilled no matter what gender it is. I love my boys so much, and being the only lady in their lives is okay by me.

So now I’m after advice! What am I in for when it comes to a third child? What are the things that no one warns you about?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Don't forget to take our quizzes!

What 80s TV Mom Are You?

Which Classic TV Mother Are You?
WordPress Author Box

Katie is a 32 year old wife and mother of three beautiful boys. She writes a popular blog about life with her family in Salt Lake City. A keen writer, photographer and crafter, her blog is her outlet for her creativity.

Like us on Facebook
on Facebook

Follow @amotherthing on Twitter
Add me on Google+
on Google+

No Comments so far. Feel free to join this conversation.

1. Corinne March 4, 2014 at 11:45 am - Reply

Congratulations, I am so thrilled for you! I am like you and cannot keep the news to myself when pregnant. I think the thing that people say is how much harder it is with 3 little ones, it’s wonderful too but it’s really full on. It hasn’t put me off wanting another though!

• Katie Reed March 4, 2014 at 11:47 am - Reply

Yah, I have heard that once the parents are outnumbered, it’s a real battle! Lol. Mark is terrified because he thinks we are just perfect now. But I am hopeful that three will be the magic number, and we’ll have a wonderful family. Though Mark has said he’s getting “fixed” as soon as the baby is born. ;)

2. Leoni-fay March 4, 2014 at 11:48 am - Reply

Congratulations, that’s such exciting news, I’m pregnant with baby number 3 (who is also earlier than expected!) and have no idea what I’m letting myself in for! Good luck with the pregnancy, I don’t go in for the superstition either, I like to have support when/if things go wrong.

• Katie Reed March 4, 2014 at 11:50 am - Reply

That’s exactly how I feel, too. If something terrible happened (god forbid!), I’d want to have as much support as possible. Plus, I cannot keep a secret at all, so for me, trying to hide it would be too much work! ;) Thanks for the kind words, and congrats on yours, as well. :)

3. Amy March 4, 2014 at 1:53 pm - Reply

Congratulations!

It’s so scary when you have a bleed. I did with my twins and I was sure I had lost the baby. Instead it turned out to be 2!

• Katie Reed March 4, 2014 at 1:55 pm - Reply

Oh man! Lol. I asked Mark what we would do if we had twins. I think we would have to move so we were close to family.

4. Janis March 4, 2014 at 1:58 pm - Reply

For me, going from one to two was the hardest. When the third came along, it was no big thing. However, I’m sure you already know this………you will never be on time anywhere again, and if you get used to that now, you’ll save yourself a lot of mental anxiety.

Congratulations!!!! So very happy for you!

• Katie Reed March 4, 2014 at 2:00 pm - Reply

Thank you! And great advice. Going from one to two was definitely hard so hopefully 2-3 will be ok. Lol

5. Vick March 5, 2014 at 1:03 am - Reply

You mean sex, not gender.

• Katie Reed March 5, 2014 at 8:59 am - Reply

Huh. You’re right. I looked it up, because I was unsure of the difference between sex and gender. That said, whatever gender role he or she takes on is okay by me, as well.

6. Kelsi March 5, 2014 at 2:51 am - Reply

Congratulations! I just had my first 3 months ago. We also want to have three. I am so happy for you, and I hope everything goes well with your pregnancy.

• Katie Reed March 5, 2014 at 9:00 am - Reply

Thank you so much. :) The first is always so amazing. Congratulations to you, and all the best! :)

7. Chelle @ oh just stop already March 6, 2014 at 11:09 am - Reply

Congrats!!!! I miss being preggo but after 6 I think I’m ready to call it quits. I’m ready for the life of no diapers and diaper bags lol

8. Natalie March 9, 2014 at 5:30 am - Reply

I would like to congratulate you on your pregancy, but I must take issue with the idea of waiting till the three month mark as a ‘superstition’. I had two miscarriages prior to my current healthy pregnancy. I am not superstitious, in fact, I am a massive skeptic. Even so, I only told my mum and my best friend about every pregnancy as soon as it happened and left most people till the three month mark (for this one).
    It is tough enough to deal with the pain without having to keep telling people about your loss. Not telling straight away gives you the chance to grieve how you may want if the worst happens. It is not a superstition but a pragmatic approach to the reality that there’s a 1 in 5 chance of something going wrong. Please don’t diminish those of us who are not comfortable with grieving in public as superstitious, you are lucky to still have the innocent optimism that people like myself have never been afforded.

• Katie Reed March 9, 2014 at 8:55 am - Reply

Natalie – thank you for your congratulations. I’m so very sorry for the losses you have experienced, and I would never seek to diminish anyone’s desire to keep their pregnancies to themselves. My comment was meant to express that I don’t believe that telling people early will have any effect on the outcome of a pregnancy. Each woman must make the decision for themselves.

I feel it is relevant, though, to say that I have, in fact, experienced two previous miscarriages. It is a devastating loss, and I was lucky to have the support I needed at the time. For me, personally, I would struggle to get through it alone.

I don’t subscribe to the idea of keeping it to myself for a set period of time, but I completely understand those who do.

Again, I am sorry that I came across inarticulately, and I wish you a very happy and healthy pregnancy.

9. Alexa March 19, 2014 at 8:46 pm - Reply

Congratulations! I’m not even going to lie, 3 is tough! It’s more difficult to get places, to keep organized, and forget keeping the house picked up. Just don’t sweat the small stuff, enjoy the time you can with them while they are little, and make time with each of them individually as often as you can. Don’t be surprised when the 3rd skips all the baby stuff and goes straight to whatever the next kid in line is doing/playing with!

10. ghostwritermummy April 2, 2014 at 12:31 pm - Reply

I decided to go back and read all your pregnancy posts! Congrats again :)
    I found going from 2 to 3 kids a lot easier than 1 to 2. You will be fine!
    x x x