As any mom from Central Florida will attest, skin care is something that is always a concern. When any day can be filled with sunshine, chlorine, sand or insects, we pride ourselves on making sure we follow the three Ps of proper skin maintenance: Prep, Protect and Pacify.
As a lifelong sufferer of eczema and sensitive skin, I can tell you there is nothing I wouldn’t do to save my kids from the nightmare of itchy, burning skin. I grew up with every home remedy under the sun, and nothing ever really took away my discomfort. And now that I’m pregnant for the third time, I never take for granted how important it is to keep my skin feeling as soft, healthy and itch-free as possible.
We have so much fun planned for this summer. From heading to the beach to hiking to visiting the many theme parks in our area, there is going to be every opportunity for skin irritation to occur. But with Curél® Itch Defense® Lotion on hand, I know that we are covered. Come rain or come shine, I know that my kids and I (and even my pale-skinned husband!) are going to be fine. Here are some more tips to keep moms and kids worry-free this summer.
Chlorine is a big skin irritant. And as most pools are outdoors, the sun is also a worry – especially for young children or those with fair skin. To combat them both, be sure to try these quick tips.
- Use a high SPF sunblock at least 30 minutes before going outside. Make sure you don’t miss the small areas like the tops of your ears or your scalp!
- Reapply sunblock every hour.
- Rinse off in a luke warm or cool shower as soon as you’re finished swimming, as this will rinse the chlorine off your skin!
- Use Curél® Itch Defense® Lotion after you leave the shower to rehydrate what the pool and heat has taken away.
- As with the pool, make sure you use and reapply a high SPF sunblock to battle the hot summer sun. There’s nothing like the beach to give you a lobster burn!
- Keep hydrated! Drink lots of water to stop from getting dehydrated!
- Be sure to rinse yourself using the beach showers after you’ve finished for the day. This will help remove all of the sand and salt from your body, which if left can irritate the skin!
- Use Curél® Itch Defense® Lotion right after you have showered and changed clothes, as this will lock in the moisture and help to relieve any skin irritation that may have occurred.
Picnics, being outdoors, come with their own set of worries. From sunshine to plants to dirt to bugs, an otherwise perfect picnic at the park can turn into a nightmare fast!
- Be sure to wear light layers to keep cool but covered up against the sun and bugs.
- Wear bug spray to keep those pesky mosquitoes and other critters at bay.
- As with any outdoor activity, a good high SPF sunblock is critical!
- Don’t touch any plants you don’t recognize! Even in a public park, you never know what might cause a skin reaction – especially if they use fertilizers or pesticides!
One of the most fun things for kids to do is to splash. In puddles, in a splash pad or through the sprinkler system, children LOVE water. But as usual, it can be a minefield!
- If you know you’re going to be playing in water, definitely use a good sunblock. But if it’s an impromptu splash around, and you don’t have your cream with you, be sure not to spend too long in the water.
- Don’t strip down. Shorts and a t-shirt work marvelously and there’s no reason to wear less. Extra clothes mean more protection, and if you don’t have a change of clothes, the kids usually love drying in the hot summer sun (which down here doesn’t take very long!).
- Be sure to rehydrate by drinking lots of water and moisturizing with Curél® Itch Defense® Lotion.
I can’t lie – for us; summer is all about the theme parks. We’re on the doorstep of some of the world’s best – Disney, Epcot, Hollywood and Universal Studios, Legoland, Busch Gardens – they are our back yard. And never have we had more reason to worry than being out all day in the blazing sun walking through the parks!
- Bring water. Lots of water. Not only will it save you money to bring your own, but it’s the best way to guard against dehydration!
- Invest in a misting fan. There’s nothing quite as nice as spraying yourself with cool water in the middle of a scorcher.
- Sunblock sunblock sunblock!
- Bug spray! The landscaping is always amazing at the parks, but all those plants and standing water will bring out the bugs!
- Eat ice cream. It makes you cooler, and let’s face it – who can ever say no?
- When you’re worn out and heading home, soothe your parched skin with Curél® Itch Defense® Lotion to keep it fresh and happy.
Summer is the time of happiness, fun and frolicking. Don’t let your worries about your or your children’s skin stop you from having a blast. With the Three Ps and a few handy tips, you can be prepared for anything. What are you going to be doing this summer?
And if you want to get a chance to win a $100 Visa gift card, tell me in the comments below how you beat summer skin irritation.
No duplicate comments.
You may receive (2) total entries by selecting from the following entry methods:
- Leave a comment in response to the sweepstakes prompt on this post
- Tweet (public message) about this promotion; including exactly the following unique term in your tweet message: “#CurelItchDefense” and “#SweepstakesEntry”; and leave the URL to that tweet in a comment on this post
- Blog about this promotion, including a disclosure that you are receiving a sweepstakes entry in exchange for writing the blog post, and leave the URL to that post in a comment on this post
- For those with no Twitter or blog, read the official rules to learn about an alternate form of entry.
This giveaway is open to US Residents age 18 or older. Winners will be selected via random draw, and will be notified by e-mail. The notification email will come directly from BlogHer via the [email protected] email address. You will have 72 hours to respond; otherwise a new winner will be selected.