I think every mother tries hard to make sure her kids have fresh, healthy food with lots of fruits and vegetables. It’s part of the mythos of motherhood – you have to make sure your kids get a variety of healthy offerings so they can grow up strong. For us, we end up buying a ton of bananas and strawberries, as they are the fruits my kids most love. But often, for no reason at all, they go through phases of not wanting them. And since I tend to buy a lot of them at once (four kids go through them quickly!), every time they go through this phase, I end up with a good amount of fruit that needs to be eaten before it goes bad. One of my favorite ways to use them up is to throw them into a muffin. And there’s nothing quite as tasty as these Chocolate Chip & Strawberry Banana Bread Mini Muffins.
Banana bread is kind of a staple in our house. We make it fairly often, using the same base recipe, but I love to experiment with different ingredients to see what everyone loves most. Sure it isn’t the healthiest thing in the world, but we try to limit the amount of sugar, and with extra fruit thrown in, I somehow convince myself that it’s okay to feed the boys.
This particular recipe is dividing our household right now because everyone likes their banana bread made differently. For the kids, they love it when it’s super moist. But my husband likes them lighter and fluffier. These banana bread mini muffins are actually exceptionally moist due to the extra water from the strawberries. Plus, I usually use only three bananas, but we had five which were needing to be used. So if you want a more cake-y muffin, you may want to use less fruit or more flour.
All that said, these are my favorite muffins, and every one of my kids love them. The recipe yields 48 mini muffins, which under normal circumstances would last a long time. But because they are soooooo moist, I’m encouraging the kids to eat them quickly so that they don’t go moldy. The higher the moisture content in a baked good, the more quickly it will go bad. Do with that information what you will.
Anyway, it’s a pretty simple recipe, and it’s VERY forgiving. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do, as it was fun to make, but even MORE fun to eat!
Chocolate Chip & Strawberry Banana Bread Mini Muffins
A delicious and super moist mini muffin that will use up any fruit that might otherwise go bad.
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 18 min
- Total Time: 25 min
- Yield: 48 servings 1x
- 1.5 C flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 5 super ripe bananas (mashed)
- 1 C strawberries (small dice)
- 3 eggs
- 1 C brown sugar
- 1/2 C melted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 C chocolate chips
- Mix together your flour, baking soda and salt in a bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together eggs and brown sugar until combined.
- Drizzle in your melted butter and mix.
- Add vanilla and mix.
- Add in your mashed bananas and stir together until just combined.
- Pour your wet ingredients into the flour mixture and mix until combined. Try not to overmix.
- Stir in your strawberries.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop the batter into a greased mini muffin pan. Use a small ice cream scoop or a couple of spoons.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 18 minutes or until a fork stuck in the center comes up clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool before eating.
This recipe will make for VERY moist muffins, but they are seriously delicious.