This delicious and decadent butter toffee is made even better with a swirl of chocolate and some chopped nuts. It is utterly perfect as a hostess gift, but it is also great for taking to a potluck. It is beloved everywhere it goes, and it’s so simple to make!
I first learned how to make toffee when I lived in England. I feel like maybe toffee is a bigger deal there than it is here. But there was no denying that I was hooked on it as soon as I’d had my first taste! I love toffee on its own, but the addition of chocolate and nuts just takes it to another level!
I highly suggest buying a candy thermometer if you plan to make this. It is possible to do it without one, but it is definitely harder – especially if you’re not used to making candies of any kind. I also suggest investing in high quality butter. It will work with regular butter, but the finish is so much smoother with a good full fat name brand butter. There’s also a decision to be made as to whether to use salted or unsalted butter. Purists will always tell you to use unsalted, but I LOVE the use of salted in this dessert. It just adds an extra dimension of flavor that you can’t replicate.
Making the dish is easy. Simply melt your butter and sugar over a medium-high heat, stirring pretty much constantly, until it is nice and bubbly. Add in your vanilla and keep cooking until the temperature reaches at least 280 degrees.
Make sure you generously butter a shallow baking dish. Do NOT use cooking spray, no matter how you’re tempted. It will not work right. It HAS to be butter. Pour your toffee mixture into the dish, and then wait around 5 minutes. Dump your chocolate chips on top of the toffee and wait a further five minutes to allow the chocolate to warm through. Then, spread it around on top of the toffee and add your chopped nuts.
Refrigerate for a few hours until the entire tray is hard. Then remove it from your pan and break it apart into portions. You can make them large or small, but remember that they are VERY rich and VERY sweet, so a little goes a long way.
Remember to share with a friend!Print
Delicious and Decadent Butter Toffee With Chocolate and Nut
This beautiful dessert is the perfect hostess gift, and it works as a classy dish for your next potluck!
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total Time: 25 min
- Yield: 12 - 15 servings 1x
- 2 sticks butter
- 1 ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups milk chocolate chips
- ¼ cup chopped nuts – almonds, peanuts, pecans, or all
- Melt butter and sugar over medium-high heat, stirring frequently until bubbly.
- Add in vanilla, and continue to cook, around 10 minutes, until temperature reaches at least 280 degree.
- Butter a shallow baking dish (don’t use nonstick spray), and once your sugar mixture is ready, pour it over your pan. Wait 5 minutes, then spread out your chocolate in an even layer on top of it. Wait another 5 minutes or until chocolate becomes shiny.
- Using a wide spatula, swirl chocolate around to create a fully covered top layer.
- Sprinkle on chopped nuts of your choice, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Break/cut apart into chunks before serving.