If you’ve been to your local Target or other big box store recently, you may have seen the huge selection of chalk “spray paint.” It’s super fun for kids, but it’s not that great, and it is gone in seconds. Similarly, you may have bought those awesome looking Bunch o Balloons, that you can hook up to your hose to fill dozens of water balloons at once. It’s a genius idea, but it does leave you with some pretty weird garbage in the form of the balloon hoses. But with a little ingenuity, you can turn your old garbage into a super fun summer kid activity in the form of these ADORABLE Trolls Chalk Spray Paint bottles!
- 3 Bunch O Balloons toppers: pink, blue and white
- 3 empty water bottles: I used Nestle Pure Life, but it seems like most will have a decent fit
- Googly Eyes:
- Pink and blue pom poms:
- One silver gemstone
- Sharpie or permanent marker
- Hot glue gun
- Baking Soda
- Corn Starch
- Food Coloring
First assemble the troll faces: For Poppy, add googly eyes and a pink pom pom nose. Use the marker to add a cute smile & glam her up with some lashes! Next is Branch with googly eyes, a blue pom pom nose and a marker smile. Lastly, Guy Diamond with googly eyes, a silver gemstone nose and a marker smile. The Trolls are all set, so let’s fill them up!
To make liquid chalk, combine equal parts Cornstarch and Baking Soda. The Cornstarch gives it color and the Baking Soda will create the fizzy effect. The measurements do not need to be exact. Use about 3 heaping tablespoons of each. Only Poppy and Branch get this mixture, set Guy Diamond to the side for now.
Next, fill the Poppy and Branch bottles with water and several drops of food coloring, and then cap. Shake to mix.
Fill them all the way up to the top with water & connect the Bunch O Balloon toppers. The toppers fit most water bottles decently, but some might leak depending on the brand.
Fill up the Guy Diamond water bottle with vinegar! Cap with the white Bunch O balloon topper.
Let’s play! Flip flop using Poppy and Branch with Guy Diamond to create the fizzing effect. The vinegar in Guy Diamond reacts with the baking soda in Poppy and Branch to create this sizzle.
1) This is made with food coloring that can stain, so test the area out. Generally, the color is not vibrant on the sidewalk but the fizz really pops! You can add extra dye if you are not worried about stains!
2) Vinegar and baking soda are common ingredients in some natural weed killers, so it might damage grass and plants.