Welcome to Day Two of our 25 Days of Christmas celebration! If you missed yesterday’s post, check it out. We made DIY Decorative Paper Christmas Trees in THREE different designs! Today, I wanted to cover the basics by sharing a recipe for my Festive Holiday Sugar Cookies! These are always amazing and SO tasty, and you can decorate them ANY way you like.
Here’s what you’ll need:
2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 teaspoon sea salt
2 sticks (16 Tbsp) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 Tbsp heavy cream
Decorate cookies with green, red and white baker’s icing, holiday colored sprinkles and finishing sugar.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
1. Using a large bowl sift together flour, baking powder, and sea salt. Set aside.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment beat on medium butter and sugar until stiff peaks appear, 3 – 5 minutes.
3. Add egg, pure vanilla and heavy cream.
4. Select a lower speed and little by little start to combine the flour mixture. Mix until just combined.
5. Turn cookie dough out onto a floured surface and divide into equal parts. Fold each in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 25 minutes.
6. Roll cookie dough out until it is 1/4″ thickness and cut out your favorite cookie cutter shapes and sprinkle with finishing sugar and red, green or white candy sprinkles.
7. Bake for 12 minutes of until cookies are just shy of turning a little brown.
8. Remove from oven and allow cookies to cool on a wire rack.
A great decorating trick is to cut out letters and add them to the cookies before baking. Then, when you decorate you can see the festive words formed in relief.
This recipe is a classic and will always turn out well. And whether you use frosting, a dusting of icing sugar, sprinkles or just leave them plain, they will please anyone who loves a good Christmas cookie!
If you liked this recipe, please pin it and share with your friends!