It’s that time of year again. The time when we get invited to all sorts of holiday parties. Sometimes we are encouraged to bring some sort of snack or treat to share with the group. I have a small arsenal of easy recipes for those. But every party is BYOB. I like to do both – bring my own booze AND share something fun with the group. These layered jello shots are PERFECT for sharing. I won’t lie – they take a LOT of time and effort. But they are so worth it!
Here’s what you’ll need:
1 3-oz box cherry Jello
1 3-oz box lime Jello
3 envelopes unflavored gelatin
1 14-oz can sweetened condensed milk
1.5 C vodka
1 tsp vanilla
whipped cream (to garnish)
A quick note – it is probably easier to use vanilla vodka, but I like adding a splash of vanilla to plain vodka instead. I think it tastes better. But the choice is yours.
Another note – this recipe can make quite a few jello shots depending on the size of the dish you use and how small you cut them. But it can be done in individual plastic shot cups, as well, which might be easier and more hygienic. I didn’t have time to go to the store for the cups, though, so I just did it in a shallow baking dish.
To begin, you’ll need three bowls. Prepare each of the jello mixtures in the following way:
1. In 1/4 C of water, sprinkle half an envelope of plain gelatin. Let it set for a minute and then add in the flavored Jello and 1 C boiling water. Stir to mix, ensuring everything is dissolved.
2. Mix the vanilla in with the vodka (I pour mine straight into the bottle). Add 3/4 C vodka to each Jello mixture. Stir.
3. In the third bowl, add two envelopes of plain gelatin to 1/2 C water. Let it set for a minute or two before adding 1 C boiling water and the can of sweetened condensed milk. Stir together well. Allow it to cool.
4. Begin preparing the layers. First, add half of the red mixture to your pan (or pour a tiny bit in each individual shot cup. Place in the fridge and let it set up for about 20 minutes.
5. Add 1/3 of the milky layer on top of the red layer and put it back in the fridge for another 20 minutes.
6. Add half of the green mixture and put back in the fridge.
7. Continue layering with another layer of white, then red, then white then green. All in all, it should take about 2 hours.
Helpful hint – The condensed milk mixture can start to congeal before you have a chance to use it. To make it usable again, just pop the bowl in a microwave for 20 seconds or so and it’ll go back to its liquid form. Stir it up and you can use it with no problem.
8. Leave the layered jello in the fridge for several hours (or overnight!) to ensure it is all properly set.
9. Remove from fridge and cut into squares of whatever size you fancy. Garnish each square (or shot cup) with a squirt of whipped cream.
These are so pretty to look at, and the red and green look so Christmassy! Of course, you can use other colors for other holidays. Like Red, White and Blue for the fourth of July or Orange and White for Halloween.
Try it out and watch all your friends ooh and ahh over your creation. It’s time-consuming but SO much fun!