Is there any comfort food that compares with a good Macaroni and Cheese? I think not. But did you know that it’s also a GREAT side dish during the holidays? Especially this jazzed up version made with gorgeous prosciutto and some shredded kale! It is delicious, and the kale makes you think you’re eating something that’s good for you!
When thinking up great food that my kids will actually eat, I lean toward taking something they love – like Mac & Cheese – and putting an adult twist on it. I plan on serving this as a side for Thanksgiving this year, and I know my kids will gobble it all up. See what I did there? Gobble? Like a turkey?
Here is what you will need.
- 1 pound pasta
- 1½ cups whole milk
- 2 cups shredded kale
- 1 cup chopped prosciutto
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 slices of Munster cheese
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay seasoning
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Fill a large stock pot 3/4 full with tepid water, over medium-high heat, bring water to a boil. Follow directions on pasta packaging and cook pasta until it is al dente. Set aside.
- Using a small skillet and a tablespoon of olive oil, wilt kale until it is bright green. Set aside.
- Prepare the cheese sauce by warming 1 1/2 cup of the milk in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk together 3 tablespoons of heavy cream with 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour until the mixture is smooth. When the milk is hot, whisk in the mixture the heavy cream and flour mixture. Using a wire whisk continue to stir until the milk thickens.
- Reduce heat to low, add the shredded and sliced cheese into the milk. Stir in the Kosher salt, Old Bay seasoning, cracked black pepper and Dijon mustard. Stir until all the cheese has melted and the sauce is creamy. Taste and adjust the seasonings and milk until you get the taste and consistency you like. Remove the cheese from the stove top.
- Using a larger bowl or casserole dish, working in small batches begin mixing the pasta, melted cheese and chopped prosciutto.
Seriously, how gorgeous is this? It just demands to be eaten in huge quantities! Plus, the prosciutto is a great accompaniment with the turkey you’ll be gluttonously indulging in on the big day.
I absolutely love the little green spots of kale inside the bowl. It makes the dish really pop. And the creamy sauce looks so indulgent you can’t help but want to dig right in!
Do you love Mac & Cheese as much as I do? What do you think of this one? Would your kids eat it or would it get passed over in favor of candied yams and baked beans?