So having seen hundreds of furniture makeovers on Pinterest, I was desperate to try it myself at some point. It inevitably led to what can only be described as a mildly successful experiment.
The piece I chose was bought from our local charity shop – only $40 about 8 months ago. It started its life as a dresser for Mark and me. But soon enough, we repurposed it to use as a changing table/dresser for the new baby. Once we moved home, I set it up in my home office/craft room as a storage unit.
It was an ugly thing – all wood laminate – but sturdy enough. And in a fit of enthusiasm, I finally decided to make it my first project.
I bought a can of Valspar spray paint, which boasts that it can be used on several types of material (including wood!) and is a combined primer and paint in one, meaning there’s no need to prime it first.
All that said, it would have been very smart of me if I had at LEAST sanded it down and maybe scraped the laminate off. Unfortunately, there was some heat and water damage, so some of the laminate was bubbled up and didn’t look all that great. But as it was my first project, and as I was really excited to get started, I simply didn’t think of it.
This is what the unit looked like in my office. I had several plastic bins stacked on top of it, as well as books and random crap. It was really a catch all for whatever things I didn’t have a place for.
What I did is take the drawers out and remove the doors on the cupboard bit. I then removed all the hardware and cleaned the inside and outside.
With my trusty Valspar, I sprayed the fronts of the doors and the outside of the unit. I ran out of paint halfway through, so I wound up having to go to Lowes and get another can. Silly me. I wasn’t really sure how much paint it would actually take. Tee hee.
I loved that the blue of the paint brought out all the details in the drawers, as they kind of got lost in the brown before.
Also, the hardware on the unit were a really ugly brass color, which was never going to look good with the blue. So I used a black metal spray paint to change them. I’m not sure it looks perfect, but I like it anyway.
All in all, I’m quite happy with the way it turned out – as long as one doesn’t look too closely. There are SEVERAL issues with it, if I’m honest.
1. The surface was uneven to start with, and I didn’t fix it before painting. So now it stands out more.
2. The doors on the cabinet portion probably needed another coat of paint, as there are bits where it looks quite thin and some of the brown shows through. Oops.
3. I had the unit sitting on a plastic tarp while I painted, and as it dried there were a few places where the plastic stuck… when I moved the unit, it pulled off some paint, so there are a few small spots which look a bit crap.
4. The paint job on the hardware isn’t the greatest thing in the world… I didn’t get an even coat on, and by the time it was all dry and ready to put back on, I didn’t have the energy to paint them again. I just wanted it done.
But for all its issues, I’m actually very happy with it. It is now back in my craft room and has become a lovely display rather than a place to throw my junk.
Plus – I’ve learned a TON about what NOT to do when painting furniture. All in all, as I said before, it was a mild success.