Some of you sharp-eyed readers might have realised that there was no pregnancy update last week. For some reason, I just never got around to it, despite the fact that there was MUCH to say. But since I can be awfully long winded at times, I’ll break it down for you this way:
Our little man is still small, but he managed to grow big enough for us to be released from the care of my high risk OB, and we basically had a great big celebration when we realised that he was gonna be okay. There’s much to the story, but it all really amounts to the fact that last week was good news for us, and we were mightily happy.
Fast forward to this week, and we’ve finally hit that big big milestone: FULL TERM!!
And yet, once again, I haven’t the energy nor inclination currently to write a proper update. But, the problem is I feel like I can’t really write anything ELSE either until I at least spit out something, so here goes.
Basically, at my OB appointment on Thursday, I had a mini breakdown. I cried my eyes out at my 36 week appointment, too, so my doctor wasn’t as shocked as she could have been. It’s obviously been a hard time for us with me being so dreadfully dreadfully ill for so long. It turned out that I had the flu, so I’d been given MORE antibiotics the last week, and yet I still wasn’t better.
My blood pressure was 130/80, which was a slight cause of concern, but nothing major. Dr K wanted to check my cervix while I was there, and she found that I was about 2cm dilated and 50% effaced. She asked if I’d like her to do a membrane sweep, and I immediately said yes, desperate as I am to get this baby OUT!
So she did the procedure, which was uncomfortable, but didn’t last very long, thankfully. She then said she wanted to put me on the monitors for a bit, as I’d mentioned that the baby hasn’t been moving as much. Not only that, but for the last week, I’ve been EXTREMELY itchy all over my body, especially my hands and feet. And though I’d called earlier in the week to suggest checking me for cholestasis (several friends and professionals had been worried about me and urged me to get checked), nothing had been done. But now they wanted to do blood work to check my liver function and bile acid levels.
So while she sorted out where to send me for blood work, I was popped on the monitor for an NST. For the first time EVER, there were NO contractions recorded. And more importantly, no fetal movements. They had been able to find the baby’s heartbeat, but it went away quickly, so I was put on my left side and my belly was shaken up a bit to try and wake him up. But after 20 minutes, there was little to see. The doctor explained that while the heartbeat was there, and there were no decelerations, there were also no ACCELERATIONS, which was worrying. She wanted me to go to the hospital to be checked out and get the blood work done there.
She also said she would book in my delivery for 39 weeks. I was relieved, but then she suggested that because of my diabetes, I could even get booked in for 38 weeks if I’d rather. Um… YES PLEASE!
So I went and got Mark, and off we went to the hospital to get checked out. I had a biometric ultrasound, which basically meant that the technician had to set a clock for 30 minutes, in which time the baby must pass a series of “tests” in the womb. Within the first few minutes, he had done all of them bar one – practice breathing. This is where the baby takes some simple breaths, OR gets the hiccups. It’s a way of making sure he’s on schedule. Unfortunately, after half an hour of sitting there, he hadn’t done it. So now we have to go back on Monday to get him re-tested, and hopefully this time he will do it.
Anyway, back in the Labor and Delivery triage, I got put back on the monitors, and this time the baby had a beautiful beautiful heart rate and I had several contractions. They also did another cervical test and found that I was still 2cm, but I was now 70% effaced.
The first blood test came back normal, but the bile acid results would take a few days. So we were sent home. But not before my OB had scheduled my induction date, which will be the 18th of February!
Since then, I have had two days of pretty horrible cramping, and yesterday and today I have managed to lose MASS quantities of mucus plug. I feel very much like I did in the first hours after I was induced with Dexter, and I expect that I am in the first throes of labor. I doubt I will actually make it to my induction date.
Luckily, my beautiful mama is flying out tomorrow night and will be with me soon to help me through, just like she was with Dexter.
Until then, we’re just holding on tight and hoping for things to be okay. It would be great if this blasted cold could go away, though!
Here’s the last two week’s of bump photos: