These delicious pumpkin pie shortbread bars take everything we love about pumpkin pie, and make it better! The crumbly shortbread and sweet pumpkin filling are a total treat for your tastebuds. They make a perfect dessert for your holiday meal, but they are great for gifts, snacks and tea time, too!
With pumpkin, sweetened condensed milk, honey, eggs, cinnamon and salt, the gooey pumpkin bakes into something very similar to traditional pumpkin pie.
It sits atop a crumbly shortbread crust made from butter, sugar, vanilla, salt and flour. When baked together for around 40 minutes, it forms something akin to a gooey butter cake, made famous by Paula Deen so long ago.
Once removed from the pan, we cut it into squares, as you would a batch of brownies.
You can choose to leave them as is or top them with anything your heart desires. I used refrigerated pie crust, cut into fall leaf shapes and baked in the oven for a few minutes. Set atop the bars, they look truly gorgeous.
Any way you slice them (ha!), you can’t go wrong with these incredible treats. Cut them big or small, depending on how many you are feeding. I like nice large squares, but you can certainly make them into bite size morsels as part of a dessert buffet.
I hope you love them as much as I do!
Check out the video below to see how to make them yourself!
- ½ cup melted butter
- 1 cup flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- 1 ½ can puree pumpkin
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- Topping of choice
- Line an 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper and spray with nonstick.
- In a large bowl, stir together melted butter, sugar, vanilla, salt, and flour until it starts to become a thick doughy texture.
- Press into your pan in an even layer, smoothing it out with parchment paper. You can also poke holes in it with a fork evenly along crust to keep it from puffing up unevenly.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 15 minutes, then set aside. Raise your oven temperature to 350.
- Combine pumpkin, sweetened condensed milk, honey, eggs, cinnamon, and salt. Mix well with an electric blender until fully incorporated.
- Pour it over the shortbread crust, and bake for 40-45 minutes or until the center is fully baked. When ready, remove from oven and cool for 15 minutes.
- Cut into squares and top with desired topping***
- Refrigerated pie crust, cut into cut fall shapes, cooked for 7-8 minutes. This is what I used and it is adorable!
- Cool Whip or homemade whipped cream + cinnamon dusting
- White chocolate, caramel, or chocolate drizzle
- A sprinkle of cinnamon
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 325 Total Fat: 18g Saturated Fat: 11g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 105mg Sodium: 199mg Carbohydrates: 37g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 19g Protein: 5g