And now for something a little different. Living in the UK for so long, one of my favorite midweek treats was to head over to Greggs (a specialist bakery chain) for a sausage roll. I mean, let’s face it – I like anything to do with sausage, and I’ll nearly always choose a savory treat over a sweet one.
I never really gave much thought into what went in to making these yummy snacks, but in a fit of pregnancy-induced craving, I decided to use what I had on hand to create a sausage roll-inspired snack for myself. The result was yummy and easy and FAST.
Cheesy Sausage Bites
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 12 mins
- Total Time: 22 mins
- Yield: 24 1x
- Category: Appetiser
- 1 lb breakfast sausage
- 2 C cheddar cheese
- 12 Grands flaky biscuits
- In a large bowl, mix the sausage with the cheddar cheese.
- Take each flaky biscuit and pull it into two layers (half and half)
- Place each half of biscuit into a muffin tin to form little cups.
- Using the sausage/cheese mix, form 24 small little meatballs.
- Stick the meatballs into the well of the biscuit cups.
- Bake in the oven at 400 degrees for about 12 minutes or until the dough is golden brown and the sausage mixture is bubbling.
- Remove from the muffin tin and set aside to cool.
- These are great served with sugar free maple syrup for breakfast or with ketchup as a snack.
Remember working with raw pork can be dangerous, so make sure you wash your hands thoroughly after you assemble the cups.
The finished cups are fabulously tasty and will freeze fairly easily. Simply store in a freezer safe bag or some tupperware. You can reheat them via microwave or just warm in the oven.