** This post originally appeared on my recipe site Gimme the Yum and is now presented here as the site no longer exists **
I’m a sucker for a great baking mix. Any time I find a cake, cookie or brownie mix that tastes at least as good as my own homemade version, I’m all over it. For me, when it comes to brownies, the best mix you can buy is the Ghirardelli Double Chocolate Brownie Mix. They come out soft and chewy and chocolaty like you would not believe. I use it as a base when I want to make extra special brownie bites.
One of my favorites is the amazingly fun Rocky Road Brownie Bites. With the box mix base and some fun toppings, these are great for teenage girl slumber parties (let them make their own!), book club snacks (be prepared for some heat when the other ladies can’t stop eating them and blame you for ruining their diets) or as a fun treat for the family (they won’t last long, though!).Print
Rocky Road Brownie Bites
- Yield: 24 1x
- Category: Dessert
- 1 box Ghirardelli Double Chocolate Brownie mix (or whichever box mix you prefer)
- 1 C mini marshmallows
- 1/2 C finely chopped nuts (I use almonds)
- 1/2 C mini chocolate chips
- 1/2 C caramel chips
- Follow the box mix directions and make a batch of brownies. Remove them from the oven when they are JUST shy of being perfect. Maybe a minute or two before necessary. You want the tops to be ever so slightly spongy.
- Set them out to rest for about ten minutes so they are still warm but have settled.
- Sprinkle with the chopped nuts, caramel chips and marshmallows.
- Use a microwave or double boiler to melt the chocolate chips. When they are fully melted and liquidy, use a spoon to lightly drizzle the chocolate over the tops of the brownies.
- Wait for the entire mix to cool and then cut into 1 inch squares.