So I’m 38 weeks today, which is awesome. Little man is kicking away like he is trying to climb out of my belly rather than wait to be pushed through my hoohoo. I love how strong he is, but MAN is it a pain in the ass to be getting the constant jabs and to various parts of my abdomen.
I think he’s just REALLY ready to come out and meet his mama. And really, I know exactly how he feels.
My mom was supposed to be on a flight this afternoon to start her journey across the Atlantic and would have reached me tomorrow morning. I was meant to be having an emotional reuinion, so pent up with happiness that my water would break right there at Heathrow and we’d drive to the hospital and have a perfect delivery.
Obviously the second part wasn’t pre-booked, but it was how I imagined it all going down!
Unfortunately, severe weather all over the NorthEast U.S. has meant that travel plans have been scuppered, and my mom won’t be here after all.
I’ve just had to take a big deep breath after typing that. Since day one when I found out I was pregnant, we had set the date as February 1st for mom to fly out. It’s something we’ve BOTH been looking forward to for MONTHS. And now, another Mother (That bitch, Mother Nature) has stepped in to make sure it didn’t happen.
But what can you do?
We’re now waiting to hear when the flights can be rescheduled, and hopefully this will only be a temporary delay. As it stands, the airline has pissed me off royally with how they’re handling the situation. Not allowing phone calls is already rubbish enough, but to then reschedule my mom’s flights BACKWARD and threaten to make her pay if she doesn’t confirm it right away… it’s just stupid. (To clarify, mom is meant to fly from Erie to Cleveland to Newark to London. They’ve rescheduled her from Cleveland to Newark to London for tomorrow morning, but they scheduled the Erie to Cleveland leg for Thursday….. morons.)
Anyway, I am pragmatic and logical enough to know that these things happen. You can’t predict the weather, and unfortunately when you’re due to give birth in the middle of winter, you’re often going to have to accept certain limitations. I’m all too aware of this, having been born at the end of January (yes, I turned 29 last week and didn’t post about it) and thus never seemed to be able to schedule a birthday party due to severe weather problems. But I was SO set on seeing my mom tomorrow.
The biggest worry I have is that baby will come before she gets here. This past weekend was spent dealing with some pretty intense (if not always regular) contractions, a bit of dribbling fluid, and a big mess of mucous plug. So we have been thinking I’m in early labour for a few days. With mom on her way, this wasn’t such a big thing, but now she’s delayed, I’m suddenly terrified!
I guess all I can do for now is just wait it out and hope that Baby D can be as patient as I’m having to be. Both of us will see our mama’s soon, I’m sure.
Until then, we will both spend our time kicking and punching in total frustration.